ESOL Next Steps

Welcome to ESOL

English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes are for people who do not speak English as their first language.

ESOL classes help you improve speaking, listening, reading and writing in English. It will help you settle into the wider community.

We offer classes from Pre-entry (beginner) to Level 2 (advanced). Find out more about the courses on offer

What learners say

Excellent service and super, super friendly staff and teachers. Thank you so very much.

This course has really helped boost my confidence in English.

I really enjoyed this course and I will continue further courses in future.

A massive thank you to the organisation, it has been very educational and helpful.

Where could ESOL take you?

Buckinghamshire Adult Learning also offers:

Continue your learning with:

  • Buckinghamshire College Group based in Aylesbury, Amersham and Wycombe provides a range of full and part-time further and higher education courses, plus Apprenticeships and adult education courses. 0800 614016

  • Buckinghamshire New University has three main campuses in High Wycombe, Uxbridge and Aylesbury. They offer university degree programmes: nursing, health and social care, cyber fraud detection, textiles and aviation. 01494 522 141

  • Milton Keynes College offers full time and part time courses from GCSEs to HNDs, as well as professional skills courses and apprenticeships. 01908 684444

  • East Berkshire College a Further Education college based in the south-east (Langley, Slough & Windsor) provides over 800 part-time and full-time courses. 01753 793000

  • University of Hertfordshire offers a wide range of Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Professional and Short courses. 01707 284000

  • Open University offers over 180 courses for distance learning. 0300 303 5303

  • Future Learn offer free online courses


If you are job-hunting, you could :


If you need support :

  • Bucks Mind support for people with mental health difficulties, call them on 01494 463364

  • Samaritans Offers telephone support anytime about issues you are facing, call them free on 116123

  • Change4life – Healthy food and activity tips for you and your child

  • Buckinghamshire Family Information service – Find out what's happening in Buckinghamshire for you and your family

  • Citizens Advice - Online free advice from Citizens Advice to help you find a way forward, whatever the problem

  • Money Saving Expert Guides, tips articles and a forum about mortgages, credit cards, loans and money saving tips

  • The National Domestic Violence charity supports those experiencing violence at home 0808 2000247

Going into Higher Education?

What you need to know :

  • Before you start higher education, your chosen college or university may want to see proof of your English language skills as part of their admission process. IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is the most popular test for higher education and global immigration.

  • The nearest IELTS test centre is: Kings Oxford,, 01865 711829

  • Your chosen university/college will tell you the score that you must attain in order to attend your chosen course.

  • Universities may also accept CAE as proof of your level of English and will also accept a FS English Level 2 or GCSE English.

  • To apply for higher education you will need to apply via UCAS.